Monday, September 6, 2010

My Philosophical Approach to the Environment

One’s individual responsibilities within the global spectrum are characteristic of one’s personal beliefs—creating an environment that features nearly unlimited perspectives and provides the groundwork for discrepancies when dealing with issues pertaining to the commons. Within contemporary society there exists a growing concern and knowledgebase pertaining to the environment and how we should approach dealings with our ecosystem. Within his book, The Politics of the Environment, Neil Carter outlines the many approaches that exist within the field of environmental philosophy. Upon reading through the many perspectives that exist I was able to find parallel ideas within the ecocentric approach.  The ecocentric approach is characterized by placing both humans and non-humans on a level plateau when it comes to decision making within the environmental realm.  Ultimately, the ecocentric approach provides a challenge to contemporary ideals--forcing humans to abandon an approach that features them at the top of the priority list, in order to include ideas pertaining to the environment within the rapidly changing global atmosphere.  While I should point out that there are instances that exist within the global economy where humans hold the trump card (economic issues)—the progressive nature of contemporary society in my personal opinion is moving towards a more ecocentric approach. I find myself aligning with the ecocentric approach because I personally find it necessary to consider the environment in nearly all large-scale decisions made. A great deal of first world countries have come to economic power through the use of exploitation—whether it be less developed countries or the environment, there is often little policing when it comes to advancement, whether technological or economical. The world seems to have placed the burden of environmental understanding behind the importance of the dollar and has taken an anthropocentrism approach to these dealings. Anthropocentrism—the approach that places humans above any other entities (environment, animals) within the global spectrum with regard to decision making within both the political and professional world.   The contemporary structure of society has made it difficult for the corporate world to include the environment in discussions—“going green” and recycling initiatives often are characterized by higher prices for consumers, something that is unthinkable in the current state of the U.S. economy (recession) and an extremely high rate of unemployment (almost 10%). In his chapter on Environmental philosophy, Neil Carter did an excellent job explaining the various philosophical approaches, especially when discussing the role of value—instrumental, inherent and intrinsic, that is the role that the environment plays in the varying perspectives as well as in one’s day-to-day life. 

On the political scale I find myself on the left, both economically and socially. I am in favor of government intervention through the use of taxing as a means of reducing the socioeconomic disparities that characterize the current economic state within the United States.  While I am not against a capitalistic nature of our economy, I feel it is necessary to have greater regulation than is characteristic of the modern day United States.  The extreme fiscal discrepancies that exist within contemporary society, in my personal belief will continue to exist and get worse without more regulation of "big business" within the realm of politics and the professional world. Within the social realm I also consider myself to be a “liberal”, if you break everything down it is my personal belief that the answer to hot-button contemporary issues such as gay-marriage and the age-old abortion debate should all come down to personal choice.  The feelings and ideas that people have are characteristic of the individual and it is truly my belief that there does not exist an entity powerful enough to regulate same-sex marriages or encounters--especially in the United States of America that grants these explicit powers to its' constituents through the Bill of Rights. I believe that the philosophical ecocentrism approach that I most closely identify with is extremely similar to my political beliefs. Similar to the way that anthropocentrism favors human interests above all, the Republican Party is often guilty of favoring the interests of corporate America (Yes a bit of a tangent, but hey it's my blog, might as well be authentic).  A more Democratic approach to dealing with the environment is through an ecocentric approach—the idea of including all interests (human and environment) into the debate.  Similar to the hot-button issues that exist within the social realm, the political left is at the base of the environmental movement.   Ultimately, the political left has often been defined by its work within the field of environmental conservation, alternative fuels and the global warming debate. While there exist instances within the political realm where the environment is not at the forefront of debate, the ecocentric approach could most closely be linked with the political lefts approach—ideas that are consistent with my current political philosophy.

As a senior with only one semester left before I student teach, I would be ignorant if I said that I do not expect my political philosophy to change once I enter the professional world. However, one thing that I believe will stay the same is my approach and feelings towards dealings with the environment. The environment in itself is what provides us with the ability to go about our business. If the process of exploiting the environment continues society as a whole is in for a rude awakening. Ultimately, it is imperative to strive for aspects of environmental policy to be considered when discussing specific legislation. The environment needs to consistently make its’ way into the argument, in order for the ecocentric approach to become a mainstream idea instead of a philosophical approach. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with many of your insights, but have a question which has always burned at me and which I cannot find the answer:
    Because many 1st world countries exploited other cultures and the environment to reach where they are today, I wonder about how, with environmental regulation, can 3rd world countries hope to be economically competitive in the world today? And if these countries do not have the funds to supply their citizens with these basic necessities, they certainly cannot afford to make sure their businesses are "eco-friendly". Although I personally believe we should focus more on the environment than the economy, how do we justify the millions of people who do not have access to clean water, food, basic medical services, education, etc.?
    Does anyone have any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete